is Nikon's latest entry level DSLR camera. It is a jump up from the D60 or the later D90
models. Nikon continues improving upon its models and it's no wonder that more and more people are getting into the DSLR world.
The feature rich Nikon D5000
gets you into a 12.3-megapixel camera with all the bells and wistles. It features the DX-format CMOS image sensor with Nikon's popular EXPEED image processing, and is paired with NIKKOR optics. It is a combination that has been proven to be a winner time and time again.
The D5000 allows for recording of 720p HD movie clips just like the D90
. It features a 2.7-inch variable angle color LCD for viewing the images and movies. It also flips inward for safe storage.
The camera offers 19 Auto-exposure Scene Modes that will help you take amazing pictures in any scenario. Like most newer DSLR's the Nikon D5000 has One-button Live View available in case you just cant find yourself looking through the viewfinder or are trying to take a picture from an obscure angle. For action or sports photography the Nikon D5000
offers a 4 frames-per-second continuous shooting option as well as 11-point auto-focus system with 3D Focus Tracking and accurate auto-focus. For low lighting it allows a low noise ISO sensitivity from 200 to 3200. Like all its brothers and sisters it features Active-D-Lighting to help restore lost shadows in images. The camera allows for on board retouching which lets you convert a copy of your original image to black and white, sepia or many other filter options.
One of the newest features is the GPS geo-tagging. You could purchase the optional GP-1
GPS unit. This unit will allow the camera to record every image's latitude, longitude and altitude, with satellite time-of-day. This is great for vacations. Geo-tagging allows newer imaging applications such as Apples iphoto, or Linux digikam to do photo searches based on this information. It truly is amazing technology. Finally the camera even has a built-in image sensor cleaning function to keep your images speckle free.
The features in a nutshell
* 12.9 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor (effective pixels: 12.3 million)
* 2.7" tilt and swivel LCD monitor (230,000 dots)
* Movie capture at up to 1280 x 720 (720p) 24 fps with mono sound
* Live View with contrast-detect AF, face detection and subject tracking
* Image sensor cleaning (sensor shake)
* 11 AF points (with 3D tracking)
* IS0 200-3200 range (100-6400 expanded)
* 4 frames per second continuous shooting (buffer: 7 RAW, 25 JPEG fine, 100 JPEG Normal)
* Expeed image processing engine
* Extensive in-camera retouching including raw development and straightening
* Connector for optional GPS unit (fits on hot shoe)
* New battery with increased capacity
* 72 thumbnail and calendar view in playback
You can get yours on Amazon